MICROSOFT CONVERGENCE : DYNAMICS AX ROAD MAP AND STRATEGY – MICROSOFT DYNAMICS AX 7.0.
It’s hard to believe that it was only a little over a year ago that AX 2012 R3 was released followed by AX 2012 R3 CU8 on Azure in November 2014.
As a reminder, AX 2012 R3 and R3 CU8 brought a lot of new functionality, more than average for an interim release. We saw the addition of:
· Advanced Distribution and Warehouse Management
· Transportation Management
· Advanced Demand Forecasting
· Modern Point-of-Sale (POS) interface
· Enhanced Servicing Capabilities so clients can minimize code deployment, i.e. choose which hotfixes you want to deploy
· Reduced friction to deploy dev & test in Azure
From this last release of AX, the following were introduced to carve a path towards the new features that the next release would offer.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES OF AX 7.0
· Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more
· Create more personal computing
· Reinvent productivity and business processes
· Build the intelligent cloud
Let’s take a look at what was demonstrated in this important roadmap session.
EXPECTED AX FUNCTIONALITY ENHANCEMENTS
· Modern, web-based user experience based on . The client is device-independent and has a panorama view / dashboard and next generation role centres. In addition, it can support mouse or touch screen!
· User adoption still remains a focus. so users can easily transition after a Dynamics AX upgrade.
· Hover over task and preview mode reveals underlying data, reducing the number of clicks that are required to .
· Integration of the for ease of navigation on screens with limited real estate. You can add or subtract favorites, view recent screens you have visited, etc.
· New experience enables the use of metadata search to find an application screen very quickly (dashboard, navigation pane or Metadata search) without having to navigate menus.
· – you can dock windows and use side by side screens. A great feature for those in production who typically run multiple screens, like MRP side by side.
· has not been overlooked. Microsoft understands that there is an emotional connection with the application user experience and this can make a huge difference in how much you enjoy work or how much you don’t.
· Data entities will expose an and can be consumed by Power BI.
· – drill from one box to transactional information – in memory (Read Real-time Analytics).
· The old Task Recorder gets reimagined into Task Guides.
· End-user can now .
· Has to provide feedback on a business process. This gives users the ability to add notations as they walk through the guided process.
· So many uses:
· Useful for increasing productivity
· Helps users manage change
· Use it for testing
· Use it for training
· Use it for support – send a Task Guide to Microsoft to ask them to get something working
· . Classic MorphX and model experience is still available.
· Microsoft has enabled a to aid in developer efficiency. Utilities can work in both the web page and the designer at the same time.
· Exceptionally .
Version 7.0 significantly improves the capability to do data load tasks that are common in a heterogeneous environment where you want to have a single version of the truth.
· Bring in and do . This reduces the amount of work that a consultant/business analyst needs to do to import data.
· Data uses and can be mapped either in a visual or tabular format.
· View a in the live system.
· Bring imported data into .
UPGRADING FROM OLDER VERSIONS OF DYNAMICS AX?
If you are interested in upgrading from your current version of to AX 7.0, here are some important details that may help in your decision process:
· . This will make the transition from AX2012 R3 to AX 7.0 relatively straightforward. AX 7.0 is more about the modern user interface and new tools and less about the underlying business logic and data models.
· because Microsoft wants all their customers to be able to upgrade to AX 7.0 at their own pace.
AVAILABILITY OF DYNAMICS AX VERSION 7.0
· This will be followed by an on-premise release.
· Microsoft is fully committed to support running Dynamics AX in the .
· Reminder as above that the data model and business logic is the same.